Saturday, May 30, 2009

Portland State University/Ooligan Write to Publish Conference

I spent all day Friday at Portland State University at a new conference put on by Ooligan Press. The conference was called Write to Publish. The first seminar I attended was the state of publishing which had no good news about the publishing industry. I actually had not heard that most publishers have stopped acquiring books temporarily, at least in the adult market. It is pretty scary stuff. The first drawings below were done during my favorite session, writing for young adults, given by Michelle McCann who teaches at PSU in the publishing program. She teaches young adult and children's publishing. She was terrific and I am sure she must be an amazing teacher.

The drawings below were drawn during the session on writing graphic novels.
The drawing below was during a session on how to present a book to a publisher.

The drawing below was done during the lecture on the state of publishing.


What I can't figure out is why my moleskine journal won't scan without dark blotches. Oh Well!
All in all it was a fun and informative day.

No comments: